Not so with our reluctant and struggling readers who not only have trouble finding books they like but making time to read as well. We can teach those students how to choose 'just right' books but if they never sit down to read them, they will not improve as readers.
Franki Sibberson, a teacher and writer, gives her students a few guiding questions to help them find the time to read during vacation.
- When will you have time over vacation to read? Will it be short bursts or long periods of time?
- Will you be in the car or on a plane for a long time? What kind of books might you take?
- What places will you visit that you might like to read about?
- What magazines or quick reads would you like to have on hand for short bursts of reading?
- Which relatives might you like to read with? What might you read to/with them?